Recently I have read a book on medicinal plants “Athbutha Aushadha Chedikal” (means- Wonderful Medicinal Plants), written in Malayalam language by late Dr K R Raman Namboodhiri, a former medical officer in the department of Indian system of medicine (Ayurveda). In that book, he has mentioned about a medicinal plant “Arutha”, which is nothing but a commonly used drug in Homeopathy-Ruta Graveolens. His book provides some details about this drug mentioned in the ancient Ayurvedic & Unani text books and recent studies conducted by the Japanese scientists. Here are 12 noteworthy points from his book.
1. The local name “Arutha” took its origin from a Malayalam word “Aruthu”- means “No”. This drug was initially used to prevent epilepsy. When a an epileptic person falls during convulsions, those who are around him may suddenly utter “No” as an attempt to prevent him from falling. Since this drug can prevent epilepsy, it was named as Arutha!
In Sanskrit, it is called Santhapa.
In English: Garden Rue, Rue bitter wort (W. Boericke)
2. Snakes (especially cobra) can be kept away from our garden by cultivating a few Ruta plants!
3. If there are some Ruta plants in the home garden, those who stay in that house will never suffer from epilepsy!
4. The leaves are useful for indigestion.
5. Juice of Ruta is useful for schizophrenia.
6. Juice of Ruta is useful in pediatric epilepsy, respiratory troubles, and fever.
7. In pediatric asthma, the leaves are burned and the smoke is inhaled.
8. Some ancient Unani text books also cites the importance of inhalation of Ruta and its application on the body in pediatric epilepsy. It is also used as a stimulant and emmenagogue.
9. In eye disorders, the garland made up of the leaves of Ruta is tied around the neck.
10. There are some parasitic worms on the leaves of Ruta. They survive by consuming the tender leaves. Once these worms mature, they bend their body and attain a globule like structure. These globule like worms are boiled in mustard oil and the oil is given 10 drops daily for pediatric epilepsy.
11. The whole Ruta plant is crushed and then heated with coconut oil and cow's ghee. When it becomes dry, it is kept in airtight glass jar. This powder can be used internally and externally for pediatric epilepsy, dyspnoea, cough, fever, diarrhea, colic etc.
12. Now the Japanese scientist says that Rutin, the active principle of Ruta, can protect the body from the effect of nuclear radiation! [See Sunflowers Clean up radiation
Homeopathic stalwarts on Ruta
This drug was introduced to the field of Homeopathy by Dr Hahnemann.
Dr M L Tyler says the following in her drug pictures."THERE'S Rue for you!" An ancient herb of great virtue: "Herb of Grace";--"Herb of repentance" :--supposed to be a valuable defense against witches;--and "an antidote to all dangerous medicines and deadly poisons", so Culpepper tells us; a "Mithridate", i.e. one of the poisons on which the king of Pontus fed daily, to the intent that "they should have no power, but be a kind of nutriment". He is said to have eaten, among the rest, by which he sought to render himself acclimatized, as it were, and so immune from poisonings, two of the tiny leavesof Rue daily. And Rue is a poison, and therefore a medicine. Used for purposes of abortion, it has encompassed its end in the most protracted and suffering way--at times ending with death : like other methods to the same intent.Rue is a dear friend among medicines ; One met with it first as a plant which our gardeners always kept in an odd corner of the kitchen garden, from which to make an ointment for the cows' udders, should they get sore. As an ointment, it is also a fine application for chilblains: one used to get appeals for some moreRue ointment for a young nephew's chilblains, which otherwise were bad enough to keep the poor schoolboy in bed. One discovered its virtues also in housemaid's knee, and generally in inflammations of synovial membranes. But here it seems to do equally well internally in the 200th potency.
Further she says, “By the way in regard to Ruta for "backs", synovial membranes and sciatica: After manipulating sub-luxations of pelvis, it seems to be good practice to give a dose or two of Ruta. So far as one has observed, the pain, sometimes felt for a day or two after such manipulations, may be thus lessened or obviated.”
Dr J T Kent says, “the symptoms of Ruta are difficult to classify in the repertory; its nature must be obtained”An excerpt from “A Capsule of Materia Medica”Ruta GraveolensMind
Peevish; Fear of diseases and terrible things; Restlessness; Mental,emotional and physical stiffness; Dullness; Slowness; Weary of life; Despair; Guilty feeling; Forgetfulness.Causation
Ailments from injuries, sprains, bruises, fractures, straining flexor tendons; Lameness after sprains; Headache after intoxicating drinks, eye strain; Eyestrain from close study, sewing; Dyspepsia from carrying heavy weights; Prolapse of rectum after delivery; Ill effects of mechanical injury to chest; Pneumonia/ TB from chest injury; Breathing affected by pain in the dorsal vertebra; Itching after eating meat.Location
This drug has got an affinity for: Head, eyes, ocular muscles, stomach, chest, uterus, bones, Periosteum, cartilage, tendons, flexor tendons, fibrous tissues, joints, wrist, ankle, heels, skin etc.
Indicated for: Scalp tumors; Painful swelling of spleen; Rectal prolapse; Cancer of rectum; Stricture of rectum; Sore tendons; Housemaid's knee; Synovial inflammations; Aching in achillis tendon; Nodes and deposits; Ganglion; Ankle pain; Heel pain; Bursitis; Smooth warts on back of palms; Solid fibrous tumors.Sensation
Feeling of intense lassitude, weakness; Heaviness in forehead; Headache as from a nail; Feels as if eyes are balls of fire; Misty sight; Gastralgia with gnawing pain in stomach; Nausea felt in rectum; Painful spots on sternum; Tightness in chest; Bruised pains; Burning and gnawing pains; Thighs feel weak; Parts of the body upon which he lies are painful.ModalitiesAggravation
The complaints get aggravated by lying down, cold, wet weather, over exertion, injury, cold air, eyestrain.
Sciatica < lying, night.
Pain in thighs when stretching limbs.Amelioration
The complaints get ameliorated by lying on back, warmth, motion, rubbing, hot dry weather.
Backache > by pressure, lying on back.
Sciatica > during day time.Concomitants
Giddiness with confused vision; Asthenopia with disturbances of accommodation; Epistaxis; Spasm of tongue with difficult speech; Frequent eructations; Sudden nausea while eating; Violent thirst for ice cold water; Rectal prolapse with soft or hard stool; Rectal prolapse on stooping; Difficult stools, evacuated only with straining; Urge to stool, but only rectum prolapses; Rectal bleeding; Bloody stool; Dysuria with urgency; Urge to urinate with fullness in bladder; Pressure in neck of bladder after urination; Increased sexual desire; Varicocele after strain; Too early profuse menses; Leucorrhea before or after menses; Tendency to miscarriage; Cough with profuse thick yellow expectoration; Tottering gait; Bruised pains & stiffness; Pains with restlessness; Restless extremities, change positions frequently; Pains and stiffness of wrists/hands; Inflammations and contracture of tendons; Pains with numbness and tingling in hands; Pains with cracking in joints; Neuralgic pains; Periosteal injury with lump persists in periosteum; Chilblains; Erysipelas.Thermals:
Complements: Calc phos.
Remedies that follow well: Ac phos, ac sulph, calc, caust, lyc, puls, sep, sulph.
Antidoted by: Camph
* I have cured a number of cases with this remedy. Out of which, most of the cases are failed cases from the hands of Orthopedic surgeons. The list mainly includes: Pains after sprains, Tennis elbow, Carpal tunnel syndrome, Frozen shoulder, Trigger points, DOMS etc.
* When I joined the Homeopathic medical college, I had visual problems due to the overuse of eyes while drawing Anatomy diagrams and continuous reading. I consulted my professor Dr Raveendra Nadhan. He asked me to take Ruta 30. I really felt better and stopped using the newly purchased spectacles.
* A few months back, I had a sprain of my ankle joint while going for a morning walk. I was not able to walk or even stand properly. Finally, I had to call my brother to take me home. My panic-stricken parents were planning to take me to an orthopedic surgeon. But I took a few doses of Ruta 200. The result was fantastic. Though my clinic had to be closed in the morning, I could go for the afternoon consultation without feeling any sort of pain. Thanks to Hahnemann for introducing such a wonderful remedy!A humble suggestion to the readers
The intention behind this article is to take your attention on the use of Ruta G for the conditions mentioned in the ancient literature. We should try this remedy as an organ-remedy (preferably in lower potencies like Q, 3x, 6x, 3c, 6c) in the management of epilepsy, schizophrenia, respiratory diseases, detoxification, and prevention/treatment of side effects of radiotherapy, so that we can double the therapeutic utility of this drug. Bibliography
1.Athbhutha Aushatha Chedikal- Dr K R Raman Namboodhiri, H & C publications.
2.Materia medica by Drs. Hering, Kent, Nash, W. Boericke, M L Tyler, S R Phatak, Henry buck. Published by B Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
3.A capsule of Materia Medica - By Dr Muhammed Rafeeque.(Publishing shortly by FamilyHomoeopathy.com)
Radar, Published by: B Jain publishers, New Deihi.
Hompath by Dr Jawahar Shah, Mumbai.
Dr Muhammed Rafeeque, BHMS, PGNAHI.
Family Homoeopathic Clinic