This is the article I read in Hindustan Times in 2006, which touched my heart and I kept that newspaper cutting with me. This I usually do whenever anything touches my heart. While going through my old cuttings, I go through the lanes of memories. There I found this article which I would love to share.
This article was written by Rajashree Birla, mother of Kumar Manglam, director Aditya Birla Group who has seen and felt cancer closely.
- Combating cancer is like going on an uphill journey. Even when you do all the right things in your life and take the right steps along the way death may overtake you. This is the reality and we must accept.
Then she mentions two stories in which first is of her Husband Aditya Birla. She writes. . .
- as we were returning from Washington in 1993, a hoarding caught his eye which said : If you are a man and above 50 you should have a prostate checkup. You may be suffering from cancer. And Adityaj 's reaction was lets go for a check-up on priority in Bombay. He perhaps had an instinctive feeling that something was wrong. The doctors at Johns Hopkins, while confirming it found that the cancer had spread beyond the prostate.
- Then she further writes – From 1993 till Oct. 1995 when he passed away he tried to live a life as normal as possible. He did not make cancer the big story of his life. His illness was one of the best guarded secrets. Throughout the ordeal he showed extra ordinary courage. He defied the pain of cancer. He would say, let us seize the moment. Healing in his case did not happen. His last words before he slipped in to coma were “Be Brave”
- The next story she mentions is about young couple and their six year old daughter who suffered from leukemia. For months at a stretch in the hospital through three surgeries and three years break from school, this child did not let her spirit down. I asked the parents what saw them through. And they said an inner strength and an implicit faith in God. They believed God has his own ways to send messages to us.
- We are BORN TO BE HAPPY BUT OFTEN GOD THROWS GOOGLY . HE ALSO GIVES US THE STRENGTH AND COURAGE TO BRAVE ADVERSITY
To be continued............