Homeopathy in Intensive Care
and Emergency Medicine
Homeopathy First Magazine
Best Vitamin C Drink 
Learn More With Caralyn 
Coupon SHOPWITHHWC

Homeopathy World Community

Creating Waves of Awareness

Why Is The Homeopathic Medicine Prepared In A Solvent Like Alcohol?

Dear all, If i am wrong somewhere in my understanding then please forgive me and correct me because i am here for learning. That's why I am sharing my views, I wish to know why homeopathic medicines are prepared in organic solvents like alcohol. Am I right? 

May I know the detail of its composition like is it methanol, ethanol and what is the percentage used during the preparation of medicines?

Sometimes I feel that solubility of the crude medicine can be one of the factor but it should not be true for all the medicines.  For example, Natrum Muriaticum is prepared from common salt and can be easily soluble in water in any concentration. So, why is the medicine available in the market using alcohol as solvent rather than water?

This question always comes into my mind because in the human body, if I talk about the cell then the cell's environment is aqueous, which means water and organic solvents are not present.

Even though the medicine contains very minute quantity of alcohol and it is not going to have any ill effect, but can't we prepare the medicine in water?

I also wish to know which solvent is used that when making dilutions, is it the same, alcohol or water?

Augmented Textbook of Homoeopathic Pharmacy

D. D. Banerjee

This is an augmented work of Dr. Banerjee and is complete in all respects - right from introduction, illustrations, mechanism, pharmacopoeias, development, scope and research in pharmacy.

The work is divided into sections for easy reference, as the chapters, which were placed haphazardly in the earlier edition have been rearranged in a systematic manner under the respective sections.

Most importantly, the information in each chapter has been updated and elaborated; like the chapter on " Vehicles " is now a complete section with 5 chapter under it:
- Vehicles - in general 
- Solid vehicles
- Liquid vehicles
- Semisolid vehicles
- Standardization of vehicles

Similarly, the section "Laboratory" is complete with information on:
- Laboratory premises
- Homeopathic laboratory
- Laboratory methods
- Instruments
- Cleaning of utensils
- Hazardous instruments

Hence, each section in this augmented edition provides complete knowledge on the respective subject without any need to look further.

Several new sections & chapters have also been introduced:
Naming a few Sections:
• Principles:
Principles of prescription.- Principles of medication.- Principles of dispensing. - Principles of external application. - Principles of drug proving.

• Analysis of drug:
Limit tests.- Chromatography.- Sampling and methods of analysis.

• Development, scope and research in homeopathy.
Naming a few Chapters:
- Methods of preparation - G.H.P.
- Methods of preparation - H.P.U.S.
- Preparations of drugs from sarcodes and nosodes.
- Posology and homeopathy. Table of drugs.
- Relationship of remedies with duration of action, etc.

Also, this edition is respondent with Tables, Illustrations and Examples. The font too has been improved to make it more reader friendly.

All in all, it is an augmented textbook in the literal sense of the word making it a complete textbook for all associated with the field of homeopathy, be it students, at the graduate or post graduate level, doctors, professors, pharmacists or manufactures.

Views: 10641

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Medicinal compound from herbs could be extracted by alcohol or water. Alcohol is easier as you do not require heat. If water is used you need to go through a process of decoction - which uses heat.

Methanol is never used for preparing medicine. The main ingredient in the alcohol is ethanol. 42% concentration is often used in chinese medicine. I am not quite sure of the concentration in homoeopathic medicine preparation.

Alcohol, had been found recently through spectral analysis of the OH(hydroxyl), to exhibit behaviour the same as that of water. The discovery was by an indian scientist in india. I had lost the link - perhaps someone can offer it up. It was an interesting discovery as it explained how memory of medicinal substance is stored in water and alcohol. The key lies in the weak hydroxyl link.

Alcohol also has preservative qualities. Sugar pills that still retain its medicinal value after a century is due to the fact that the globules do contain water - probably less than 15%. Higher water content will cause the pills to go bad. The alcohol would most probably had evaporated.

RSS

HWC Partners

RADIO & VIDEO SHOWS

© 2019   Created by Debby Bruck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...