The Essence of a "Sulphur" Constitutional Type
by Gina Tyler DHOM
Los Angeles California,USA-
The mental, emotional, and physical make-up of a "sulphur" is discussed in this article (sulphur: sol = sun, ferre = to carry). When a trained classical homeopath helps a person with an illness, they normally look for signs of the patients "constitutional remedy". What is a constitutional remedy?
From the time of conception you take into consideration the inherited traits from your parents and ancestors. Not only physical traits, but disease imprints, and mental, spiritual, and emotional traits. Trauma is inherited not only during conception but via the fetus forming. So, it is the totality of all symptoms of the patient; this makes one's constitution. To match this constitutional type with a homeopathic remedy that is similar in "personality" is a difficult task. Sometimes it may be obvious, but not always. (There are thousands of homeopathic remedies that have specific personalities.) The patients obvious traits are sometimes tainted by miasmatic layers of a chronic disease. These need to be homeopathicaly removed (like peeling an onion layer by layer). Out of the thousands to choose from, sulphur is the most extreme in intellectual abilities. Sulphur patients have unusualy gifted mental abilities from the day they are born. Some sulphurs are: Albert Einstein, Carl Jung, Samuel Hahnemann, Abraham Lincoln, and Socrates.
Among our great leaders, inventors, scientists, gurus, and mathematicians, there have been many sulphurs. The scholar, the creative genius, the eccentric, the impulsive artist; all have minds that flow profusely into metaphysics, theories, and equations. All are famous for answering in long-winded sentences.
A great example is the book called "The Organon" written by S. Hahnemann. Hahnemann calls sulphur "the king of antipsorics". Sulphur types are philosophers, deep in thought and oblivious to the simple physical life they live. As Einstein was, his wife had to do everything for him. He had to be fed, dressed, etc.; his head being "in the clouds". Sulphurs live in a world of imagination. They are blind to all the material things of today.
Personally, I am focused on the sulphur constitutional type due to the fact that when I think back in my own life, my mentors, great teachers, and inspirational people have all been sulphurs. It is always those that stood out, making a dent in society. I have great respect for the eccentric sulphurs because of their many contributions to my life. Up until now, I have only met male sulphurs. It is well known that there are very few female sulphurs in existence. Sulphurs need a lot of emotional, mental, and physical room due to restless and nervous energy (like the flammable element sulphur.)
The greatest egos come from the sulphur type, but this is the motivating force that keeps him mobile, stimulated, focused, and driven. Such great leaders are self motivated and do not look to follow another but set the pace for others to follow. This intense ego, if imbalanced, is destructive, obsessive, irritable, insecure, negative, and a hypocondriac. To criticize an unbalanced sulphur is volatile. You cannot argue with a sulphur type due to the strong will and obstinate personality combined within a dictionary of wuick witted vocabulary words. So here, you have the two basic extremes of polarity.
Emotional and mental states of imbalance cause organic derangements in the physical realm. Sulphur is impatient with those around him. Always on the move, full of brilliant ideas, alchemists call sulphur "the heat and force of everything." In homeopathy, sulphur is used to push out symptoms ("bring to maturity"). For example: clearing up skin imbalances due to suppressive topical lotions, or suppressive emotional and mental imbalance; a phenomenon that happens when the vibration of the homeopathic sulphur remedy neutralizes the vibration of the disease.
All of one's traits become "real" under stress of an emotion. When a
sulphur is suppressed, mentally and emotionally the unconscious side of them makes an appearance. The alter ego sets in; its spirits, its demons (Lucifer), and its flaws all become visible. This is when it is easy to detect a sulphur. The worst thing to do to a sulphur is to cause sufficating suppression of any type. To suppress their imagination, creativity, ego, and spirit will degenerate a sulphur's fire. The physical body becomes full of discomforts and starts to adapt to its miserable situation, becoming ill with disease, irritable and difficult to live with.
1. Sulphur is an extremely hot blooded person. Warm hands and feet; always kicks off blankets.
2. Nervous, lean, eccentric looking.
3. You can spot a sulphur in a crowd due to his unruly long hair, and
outgoing selection of clothing (sometimes wearing the same clothes week after week.)
4. Sits in a chair with his entire body involved.
5. Paces the floor, cannot stand still in one spot.
6. Cannot wear wool clothing, gets super itchy.
7. Health complaints are always relapsing.
8. Noon and midnight are the worst aggravations for sulphurs.
9. It has to be "his idea", not someone elses.
10. Reads a lot of books, retaining everything.
11. Can teach a class better than the instructor.
12. A sulphur "scholar" does not worry about his physical appearance.
13. Messy house does not matter to sulphur. He is indifferent.
14. Offensive body odors.
15. Intolerance of artificial heaters indoors. They make him "stuffy".
16. Chronic skin eruptions (eczema, dry itchy psoriasis, boils, and acne.)
17. Lots of anxiety. Dislike of criticism, suppression, and being scorned.
18. Embarassment is extremely humiliating.
19. Much struggling for ego and honor.
20. Sulphur "idealists" are usually dogamatic and cannot be swayed.
21. Absent minded "professor" type, neglecting practical aspects of their lives.
22. Sulphurs make excellent teachers.
23. Sulphurs want to do things whenever they want to, not when told to.
24. Known for drinking large amounts of alcohol.
25. Charming to the opposite sex. Many sulphurs are womanizers.
26. Having many partners. Openly flirting with women, but hopelessly dependent on their wives, emotionally and practically.
27. Sulphurs are great in promoting themselves.
28. Lots of self confidence, gifted and enterprising.
29. Preferring self employment. Likes his independence and freedom.
30. Has knowledge of a broad range of subjects, highly intellectual.
31. Most have no formal education and are self taught (born an intellectual genius.)
32. Sulphurs like an audience.
33. Sulphurs do not care about being socially acceptable.
34. Relates to all walks of life, young and old.
35. Individualist, independent.
36. Childish persona.
37. Lots of self confidence, boasting about his achievements.
38. When it comes to a goal or passion, sulphur dives into it 1000%, whether it is a negative obsession or work related project.
39. Protective of his family, the wife is "queen" in his eyes.
40. Sulphur feels like a child of the universe.
41. Often unbearable to live with, cynical and feeling sorry for themselves causing insecurities.
42. Becoming aloof, guarded, and with a self doubt.
43. Worries about the future.
44. Revels in argument or anecdote.
Note: The "clinical" symptoms of sulphur have not been discussed such as skin afflictions, lymphatic, cardiovascular and urinary systems. For that, most homeopathic Materia Medica's have lists of information. This article pertains more to the "essence" of sulphur.
please add your own write up's/observations on the different constitutional types here-
Things you dont find in the Materia Medica.