Best Vitamin C Drink 
Learn More With Caralyn 
Coupon SHOPWITHHWC

Homeopathy World Community

Creating Waves of Awareness

The Essence of a "Sulphur" Constitutional Type
by Gina Tyler DHOM
Los Angeles California,USA-

The mental, emotional, and physical make-up of a "sulphur" is discussed in this article (sulphur: sol = sun, ferre = to carry). When a trained classical homeopath helps a person with an illness, they normally look for signs of the patients "constitutional remedy". What is a constitutional remedy?

From the time of conception you take into consideration the inherited traits from your parents and ancestors. Not only physical traits, but disease imprints, and mental, spiritual, and emotional traits. Trauma is inherited not only during conception but via the fetus forming. So, it is the totality of all symptoms of the patient; this makes one's constitution. To match this constitutional type with a homeopathic remedy that is similar in "personality" is a difficult task. Sometimes it may be obvious, but not always. (There are thousands of homeopathic remedies that have specific personalities.) The patients obvious traits are sometimes tainted by miasmatic layers of a chronic disease. These need to be homeopathicaly removed (like peeling an onion layer by layer). Out of the thousands to choose from, sulphur is the most extreme in intellectual abilities. Sulphur patients have unusualy gifted mental abilities from the day they are born. Some sulphurs are: Albert Einstein, Carl Jung, Samuel Hahnemann, Abraham Lincoln, and Socrates.

Among our great leaders, inventors, scientists, gurus, and mathematicians, there have been many sulphurs. The scholar, the creative genius, the eccentric, the impulsive artist; all have minds that flow profusely into metaphysics, theories, and equations. All are famous for answering in long-winded sentences.

A great example is the book called "The Organon" written by S. Hahnemann. Hahnemann calls sulphur "the king of antipsorics". Sulphur types are philosophers, deep in thought and oblivious to the simple physical life they live. As Einstein was, his wife had to do everything for him. He had to be fed, dressed, etc.; his head being "in the clouds". Sulphurs live in a world of imagination. They are blind to all the material things of today.

Personally, I am focused on the sulphur constitutional type due to the fact that when I think back in my own life, my mentors, great teachers, and inspirational people have all been sulphurs. It is always those that stood out, making a dent in society. I have great respect for the eccentric sulphurs because of their many contributions to my life. Up until now, I have only met male sulphurs. It is well known that there are very few female sulphurs in existence. Sulphurs need a lot of emotional, mental, and physical room due to restless and nervous energy (like the flammable element sulphur.)

The greatest egos come from the sulphur type, but this is the motivating force that keeps him mobile, stimulated, focused, and driven. Such great leaders are self motivated and do not look to follow another but set the pace for others to follow. This intense ego, if imbalanced, is destructive, obsessive, irritable, insecure, negative, and a hypocondriac. To criticize an unbalanced sulphur is volatile. You cannot argue with a sulphur type due to the strong will and obstinate personality combined within a dictionary of wuick witted vocabulary words. So here, you have the two basic extremes of polarity.

Emotional and mental states of imbalance cause organic derangements in the physical realm. Sulphur is impatient with those around him. Always on the move, full of brilliant ideas, alchemists call sulphur "the heat and force of everything." In homeopathy, sulphur is used to push out symptoms ("bring to maturity"). For example: clearing up skin imbalances due to suppressive topical lotions, or suppressive emotional and mental imbalance; a phenomenon that happens when the vibration of the homeopathic sulphur remedy neutralizes the vibration of the disease.

All of one's traits become "real" under stress of an emotion. When a
sulphur is suppressed, mentally and emotionally the unconscious side of them makes an appearance. The alter ego sets in; its spirits, its demons (Lucifer), and its flaws all become visible. This is when it is easy to detect a sulphur. The worst thing to do to a sulphur is to cause sufficating suppression of any type. To suppress their imagination, creativity, ego, and spirit will degenerate a sulphur's fire. The physical body becomes full of discomforts and starts to adapt to its miserable situation, becoming ill with disease, irritable and difficult to live with.

1. Sulphur is an extremely hot blooded person. Warm hands and feet; always kicks off blankets.
2. Nervous, lean, eccentric looking.
3. You can spot a sulphur in a crowd due to his unruly long hair, and
outgoing selection of clothing (sometimes wearing the same clothes week after week.)
4. Sits in a chair with his entire body involved.
5. Paces the floor, cannot stand still in one spot.
6. Cannot wear wool clothing, gets super itchy.
7. Health complaints are always relapsing.
8. Noon and midnight are the worst aggravations for sulphurs.
9. It has to be "his idea", not someone elses.
10. Reads a lot of books, retaining everything.
11. Can teach a class better than the instructor.
12. A sulphur "scholar" does not worry about his physical appearance.
13. Messy house does not matter to sulphur. He is indifferent.
14. Offensive body odors.
15. Intolerance of artificial heaters indoors. They make him "stuffy".
16. Chronic skin eruptions (eczema, dry itchy psoriasis, boils, and acne.)
17. Lots of anxiety. Dislike of criticism, suppression, and being scorned.
18. Embarassment is extremely humiliating.
19. Much struggling for ego and honor.
20. Sulphur "idealists" are usually dogamatic and cannot be swayed.
21. Absent minded "professor" type, neglecting practical aspects of their lives.
22. Sulphurs make excellent teachers.
23. Sulphurs want to do things whenever they want to, not when told to.
24. Known for drinking large amounts of alcohol.
25. Charming to the opposite sex. Many sulphurs are womanizers.
26. Having many partners. Openly flirting with women, but hopelessly dependent on their wives, emotionally and practically.
27. Sulphurs are great in promoting themselves.
28. Lots of self confidence, gifted and enterprising.
29. Preferring self employment. Likes his independence and freedom.
30. Has knowledge of a broad range of subjects, highly intellectual.
31. Most have no formal education and are self taught (born an intellectual genius.)
32. Sulphurs like an audience.
33. Sulphurs do not care about being socially acceptable.
34. Relates to all walks of life, young and old.
35. Individualist, independent.
36. Childish persona.
37. Lots of self confidence, boasting about his achievements.
38. When it comes to a goal or passion, sulphur dives into it 1000%, whether it is a negative obsession or work related project.
39. Protective of his family, the wife is "queen" in his eyes.
40. Sulphur feels like a child of the universe.
41. Often unbearable to live with, cynical and feeling sorry for themselves causing insecurities.
42. Becoming aloof, guarded, and with a self doubt.
43. Worries about the future.
44. Revels in argument or anecdote.
Note: The "clinical" symptoms of sulphur have not been discussed such as skin afflictions, lymphatic, cardiovascular and urinary systems. For that, most homeopathic Materia Medica's have lists of information. This article pertains more to the "essence" of sulphur.
www.ginatyler.com

-----------------------------------------------end

please add your own write up's/observations on the different constitutional types here-
Things you dont find in the Materia Medica.

Views: 22644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your nice comments, Karla, I very much enjoyed reading them !

I think one problem of the usual remedy prescriptions with regard to personality types is that miasmatic eypressions are not considered largely. A psoric Sulphur is very different from a sycotic and syphilitic one, and their combinations in particular, and will, despite of the same underlying pathology, shape the emotional, mental and physical features very differently.

One point I always wondered about is that Philip Bailey writes in his book that he never had a female Sulphur but that they were all extroverted Natrum muriaticums (I don't think Sulphur women are that rare but often missed...). What is common in their underlying pathology and essence of the remedy ? How can they be confused ? Do you see similarities to Nat-m in your case, especially with regard to the emotional aspects ?

I would love to hear other homeopath' opinions on the deeper emotional aspects both remedies share.

Yes, a big HUG to all the Sulphurs out there... I feel very much attracted by them and they were the great inspirations in my life !
Dear Katja,

I think everyone has different perceptions of what or what does not comprise a "constitutional remedy". This is because we all have our own unique "filters" through which information enters and is processed. All of our "learning" or "experience" is somewhat colored by our own upbringing, who we surround ourselves with, how we learn to "react" based on what we see and what is socially acceptable in such circles as we travel in. All of that is merely a facade we have developed for "survival" mostly because we believe that we are truly separate from each other. That is what I see Psora as being, the "slippage" away from the realization of the divine nature that is present in us all.

I see Sulphur and Nat mur as being VERY different, but primarily in the way they SEE or EXPERIENCE the world. Sulphur is more expansive, more creative, literally "holding the sun", very explosive in nature, more able to think for him/herself, question authority and social strictures, less apt to hold back because of "how they might look to others", in essence, a much less "developed" ego, because Sulphur has more accessible intuition. Nat mur seems much more reserved, more of a follower, will prefer to stick with "what he knows" (ultimately only what he has experienced through a filter that he has decided to don because someone else has convinced him that he should) and trust that life will continue to show him the same thing over and over. Natrum is more "in her head", like Lycopodium; intuition has been shut down because of grief, which is usually a misunderstanding of an event in the past, and Natrum is RIGID, crystalline, it likes to keep carving the same patterns in the mind, revisiting the past over and over. Sulphur is more apt to shrug things off and MOVE ON to the next project or goal, which is always simmering.

I think it is very difficult for a Natrum to be a TRUE extrovert, they are much too touchy and private, preferring to nurse their "wounds" (more like pour salt on them) in solitude. Sulphur prefers to make a big show about her suffering, draw others in for the performance and then move on to the next event, because lingering over issues infinitely is much too boring for a true Sulphur woman. Ultimately, a Sulphur woman is much more LIKEABLE than a Nat mur woman, because she is more passionate, less cultivated, and more in touch with what makes her "tick", not what she "should" be thinking, doing or acting out, according to someone else's ideas. I agree with Bailey in that he says that Natrum is mostly the consequence of the imposition of "civilization" on human beings. Natrum is tied to the continued "control" of reality, because deviation from that means uncertainty and uncertainty could lead to (more) pain and suffering.

I am always an adventurer, a scout, when it comes to life. I like to run ahead and see what is happening "over the hill". I have taken many remedies myself, to feel the "essence" for myself, the subtle vibration that belongs to the substance yet becomes amplified within the "potentized wesen" that is the human being. The vibrations which belong to Sulphur and Nat mur are about as different as night and day, the polarities seem quite opposite to me. Maybe the fact that I "dislike" the Nat mur essence, being somewhat opposite (to my configuration) in its composition, is why I see a higher representation of Sulphur than perhaps Bailey (or others who are more resonant to Nat mur) does. In my mind, the world is like a big orchestra: not all frequencies are harmonious with each other, certain combinations can be quite discordant! That doesn't mean we should try to "change" the instrument we are playing, but having it be in tune and surrounded by complementary instruments can make for a better musical presentation.
Hi Karla ! I only saw your comments now... thanks again for your wonderful comparison, it is very helpful for a deeper understanding of both remedies !
this thread on sulphur turned out to be one of the best discussions here at HWC
:D Karla -

Wonderful description of a "Sulphur Lady" ;) - Thank you so very much for your input, a plesure to read and really made my day (I´m still giggling :D)
I feel compelled to add, since there seems to be very little representation of Sulphur women in our Materia Medicas, that there are probably more Sulphur women out there than we realize. I think this is because in women, the Sulphur traits are more suppressed, esp if they come from families in which Sulphur is not the dominant type. My own family (with the exception of my father, most assuredly a Sulphur male, whom I did not meet until I was 27) was more Nux, Sepia and Natrum....difficult for an intelligent, precocious child not to be suppressed, out of concern for safety and other, more neurotic reasons. My point is that while I was certainly a Sulphur kid, much of my personality was altered in my teen years, due to mercury amalgams being placed, peer pressure (although I never did fit in with the "in" crowd, even if I tried), and overbearing, overprotective parents.

It is my personal observation that Dr. Elizabeth Wright Hubbard was almost certainly a female Sulphur, and perhaps Dr. Margaret Tyler as well. Liz is my favorite female mentor, I turn to her often for her wisdom and practicality. Plus, I like the fact that she was not afraid to take her rightful place as a leader among other brilliant and powerful (men), becoming a physician in a time when very few women were even allowed this opportunity...and then to become a homeopath.....WOW, what courage she had, and moxy too! I have read that she would show up for house calls in her convertible Rolls Royce, hair and fur flying..now THAT is my kind of lady!!! I sure wish she was still around, I would have liked to have known her. She did not leave much behind (written) which I think is unfortunate, but she was a mother, wife and a busy clinical practitioner, so I suspect that left her little time for much else except breathing.

My favorite aspect of Liz was her unfailing practicality and amazing intuition. That is something that is not often spoken of in reference to Sulphur, the focus usually being on the intellect and mind. Perhaps that is because Sulphur is "seen" more often in men, who are usually perceived as being more mental and less intuitive. But I am here to tell you, that is a myth, because Sulphur can be PROFOUNDLY INTUITIVE. Where do you think all of that brilliant knowledge comes from? From the source.....from what I can see, the only time Liz ever failed or missed a remedy was when she DID NOT follow her intuition and instead fell back on her training (she was rather Kentian in much of her approach, but they all were then) and followed a more Logical path. I have found this to be the case as well....when I have an instinctual call for a remedy with a client, but I don't listen to it and instead follow the rules, rep it out and give the best fit, I am usually sorely disappointed with the results. That has been the story of my life....get a good hit, but because it is not logical or perhaps socially acceptable, ignore it or ask someone else what they think about it, ultimately get negative feedback, and then leave off with the idea altogether. I cannot count how many times this has happened. Ultimately, this is what throws a Sulphur out of balance (and perhaps every type as well): NOT listening to intuition, especially when it is screaming at you. That is very damaging to the body, and not helpful to anyone around you either.

I believe that the greatest masters of our art were those who really studied, observed and made good note of what comprises human character, ie those who had excellent knowledge of the Materia Medica (as they created them) and were able to see the remedies represented as living, breathing individuals. They came together and talked about them, sang about them, wrote poems about them, poked fun at them, but THEY KNEW the remedies, inside and out. In our computer age, we have lost much of this intimacy with our "friends", relying heavily on our computerized repertories for guidance, rather than our own spirit. I think this is one of the things about modern homeopathy that I dislike the most. That and the fact that since the allopaths were so victorious in tearing down our truthful, noble profession for their own material gains (ie the rise of "Modern Medicine" and all of its glorious tenets and accessory branches of "healing" (PUUUUKE!!!) we are a largely splintered group of ragtag philosophers, midwives, "counselors" and "advisors", because God (and the bullshit lawmakers) forbid we call ourselves physicians anymore, it is difficult to find hospitals or even clinics where homeopathy is practiced (by homeopaths, not naturopaths, chiropractors, and dentists, who apply it rather badly, as far as I am concerned) and where homeopathy is supported and lauded as the powerful healing modality that it is. We are a fractured group in great need of restoration and healing ourselves. That is why these forums are so magnificent, and why I am glad Gina started this one in particular (and Debby for starting the HWC site), so that we can share ideas and experiences with each other and KEEP OUR ART ALIVE, so that the wisdom is not lost. Truly, wisdom can never be lost, but the powers-that-be definitely try to suppress it the best they can, and make its bearers look like lackeys, fools, witches, imbeciles, you pick the name, I have been called all of the above. I just wish that instead of having to do this all on the computer (which I largely hate) I could meet up with some good fellows now and again at the local coffee shop, food co-op, or even tavern, like they did in the "old days"! What fun we would have!

Pining for the past, but not giving up in the present,
K
Karla posted:"fools, witches, imbeciles, you pick the name, I have been called all of the above"
My reply:
Thanks Karla,once again a brilliant reply to our Sulphur discussion! Thank you.
Ah yes being a homeopath is like being a punching bag for namecalling,so it comes with the territory. It does not bother me one bit in fact it just makes me think those that are calling the names are more ignorant than i give them credit for. The Blind leading the blind-so the saying goes.
I told my (sulphur) husband a bit of what you stated on being a female sulphur and he actually wants to read your post,Well this has NEVER happened before.Of course this tweeks his curiosity.
You know Karla you should really write a book about all this
something like"Seeing the world through the eyes of a female sulphur Homeopath"-
I certainly would read it!Keep posting-I want more-
Wow! To have inspired your husband to read a page on HWC. Now that is a milestone and something to crow about.
The essence of Sulphur was posted on 25 May09 and we are responding to it as late as after 9 months.
This is much like a Sulphur attitude : LAZINESS.
Another point I would like to make is that one may miss a Sulphur as he or she may appear as a well dressed person since their work may demand such a thing. This may be close to Arsenicum, which happens to be its complimentary remedy ! So , not always we may see a shabbily dressed Sulphur.
Besides being whatever they may be, they still have a fear of contamination and dirt - of others, not their own.
Sulphurs also have flair for foreign languages- the intellectual aspect of them....
Learning something new every day. I didn't know they had a flair for languages. This thread may be going on a long time, partly because we continue to have many new members each month who stumble upon the SULPHUR discussion.
I think the Sulphur laziness is due more to procrastination than true indolence, ie when Sulphur does not want to perform a task, it is usually something he/she doesn't like or finds boring or unnecessary, therefore will put it off until it HAS to be done or perhaps indefinitely. Showering may fall into this category! Of course they have a flair for languages, because of the intuition I was speaking of before, and also the MEMORY. Think of Hahnemann, he knew at least 11, perhaps more. They have a way of weaving together information that seems unrelated to most minds, yet carries a common thread, and can expound upon it. If you have a patient with an extremely high intelligence (esp a high IQ, even if they don't appear overly successful, "together" or prosperous), you should consider Sulphur.
You hit the nail on the head re laziness. As a sulphur, I can definitely attest to the fact that my "laziness" stems from not wanting to perform a particular task because it's boring, unnecessary (at least to me) or unpleasant in some way. For me showering falls into this category because I dislike the feel of water flowing over my entire body all at once.

RSS

HWC Partners

RADIO & VIDEO SHOWS

© 2019   Created by Debby Bruck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...