Homeopathy First Magazine
Best Vitamin C Drink 
Learn More With Caralyn 
Coupon SHOPWITHHWC

Homeopathy World Community

Creating Waves of Awareness

HansJune072010

Dear members

As there is a lot of reference made to org.: 153 I decided to re post my article here.

Paragraph 153

Author: Hans Weitbrecht
Date: 18/6/2001

Within the context of Hahnemann's Organon, which forms the basis of Homeopathy, paragraph 153 takes a prominent position.

"In this search for a homeopathic specific remedy, that is to say, in this comparison of the collective symptoms of the natural disease with the list of symptoms of known medicines, in order to find among these an artificial morbid agent corresponding by similarity to the disease to
be cured, the more striking, singular, uncommon and peculiar (characteristic)
signs and symptoms of the case of disease are chiefly and most solely to be
kept in view; for it is more particularly these that very similar ones in the
list of symptoms of the selected medicine must correspond to, in order to
constitute it the most suitable for effecting the cure. The more general and
undefined symptoms: loss of appetite, headache, debility, restless sleep,
discomfort; and so forth, demand but little attention when of that vague and
indefinite character, if they cannot be more accurately described, as symptoms
of such a general nature are observed in almost every disease and from almost
every drug."

''Footnote: Dr. v. Boenninghausen, by the publication of the characteristic symptoms of homeopathic medicines and his Repertory has rendered a great service to Homeopathy as well as Dr, J. H. G. Jahr in his hand-book of principal symptoms, *now published for the third time with the title: Grand manual.''

*) sub-sentence is omitted in all English versions I know off

Taking a closer look
First, I will take apart and rearrange these long and complex sentences.

Main sentence1

In this search for a homeopathic specific remedy….. the more striking, singular, uncommon and peculiar (characteristic) signs and symptoms of the case of disease are chiefly and most solely to be kept in view.

Subsentence1.1

in this comparison of the collective symptoms of the natural disease with the list of symptoms of known medicines,

Subsentence1.2

in order to find among these an artificial morbid agent corresponding by similarity to the disease to be cured

Subsentence 1.3…..for it is more particularly these that very similar ones in the list of symptoms of the selected medicine must correspond to….

Subsentence1.4

in order to constitute it the most suitable for effecting the cure.

Main sentence2

The more general and undefined symptoms….. demand but little attention…..

Subsentence2.1

loss of appetite, headache, debility, restless sleep, discomfort; and so forth,

Subsentence2.2

when of that vague and indefinite character

Subsentence2.3

if they cannot be more accurately described

Subsentence2.4

as symptoms of such a general nature are observed in almost every disease and from almost every drug.

Understanding the aphorism

What do these sentences mean?

Main Sentence 1:
In this search for a homeopathic specific remedy….. the more striking, singular, uncommon and peculiar (characteristic) signs and symptoms of the case of disease are chiefly and most solely to be
kept in view.

Hahnemann is searching for a homeopathic remedy that has to be specific, - Specific to what? To the case of disease!

….not to the disease name, not to the person, nor anything else.

''Singular, striking, uncommon, peculiar''

- these are attributes which the practitioner can identify when looking over his/her case notes by comparison with cases of similar disease. Only if the normal common run of a disease is known, uncommon, peculiar singular and striking symptoms can be identified for this particular
case. They stand out and point to what is individual in the case. Applying the
Par.153 therefore is called: Individualisation.
Hahnemann inserts here in brackets '"characteristic'".
This term relates to the remedies. They are like pictures. Each has its special
theme expressed in symbols and colours. So too have the remedies their
prominent modalities, localities, sensations, concomitants and moods. We can
establish the characteristic attributes of each remedy by studying  the proving and marking out which features
run through. These features need to be confirmed by clinical cases,
establishing their universal combinability. We can only recognize something as
"characteristic', because it is known to us previously. (Example: you spot
a car with a star on the bonnet: Mercedes!)
Note: The knowledge of these characteristics puts the practitioner into a
position to ask specific questions when taking the case. [see Organon par.
164/165]

"Signs and Symptoms"

What is the difference?

A symptom describes a single piece of information such as a locality, sensation, modality, concomitant, change of mood. A combination of symptoms is called a disease-picture. (Organon par. 7 and 71)

Signs, unlike Symptoms, don't give us the specific information directly.

A sign points to something not directly visible, audible, touchable etc. A traffic sign for example gives a direction and a name relating to something to be found there. In a similar fashion disease-signs stand as pointers to inner, latent processes (of miasmatic diseases.)

Subsentence 1.1

….in this comparison of the collective symptoms of the natural disease with the list of symptoms of known medicines,

…describes the way this search for a remedy is carried out - by comparison and not by guessing, divining, reasoning or constructing. It is the comparison of the collective symptoms of disease, which does not mean the life history nor the psychology nor the personal opinion of patient or
practitioner.
[Organon par.7] It means the present state of the disease and the time and
events leading up to it.

The list of symptoms of known medicines is a term for Materia Medica Pura of which everything is left out which is mere assertion or imaginary.
[Organon, par.144]. Don't overlook the word natural in opposition to
artificial.

Subsentence 1.2

…..in order to find among these an artificial morbid agent corresponding by similarity to the disease to be cured…

…relates to the medicines contained in the Materia Medica Pura as remedies. It defines what a remedy is.
First it is artificial (manmade, not natural.)
Second it is disease-creating, health-deranging.
Third it is something which acts upon and causes a reaction in the person
testing or "proving" it.

This medicine should correspond by similarity not by equality or opposition (to become remedial).
The disease to be cured implies that there is a distinction between the person as a whole, and the current disease (picture.) [Organon par.7]
It considers this episode of illness, with all its

Views: 604

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Hans - this is very well dissected and when we reach this aphorism in the BTR- Who's Reading the Organon Show we will link to this page for further explanation.
Dear members

Here is my comment from 2001:

My experience with par. 153

For me this paragraph was the starting point of a long and rewarding journey that started eight years ago.
I got those books mentioned in the footnote of paragraph 153 in facsimile reprints and discovered that homeopathy is something completely different from what I had been taught.
This paragraph was written from practical experience.

It says quite simply:

You can look up every symptom of the given case of disease in the Materia Medica and after a lot of time and comparison; you may find a remedy homeopathic enough to cure. Quite likely you will end up with something like Pulsatilla or Sulphur because they have brought out a lot of symptoms in there proving and therefore will always have many symptoms in common.

Or…… you single out (individualize) the striking, singular, uncommon and peculiar [hereafter ssup] symptoms in your disease-symptom-picture and match those first. Often the combination of three or four ssup symptoms will be sufficient to bring the group of possible remedies to a small number.
Of this group, the remedies having those ssup symptoms in characteristic manner are the topmost contestants.

This process of elimination is done with a repertory marking those remedies in every rubric having this element (definition see homeopathy study guide)in characteristic quality.

Boenninghausen's Therapeutic Pocketbook and Boger-Boenninghausen's Repertory first edition 1905 fulfill this requirement, not so Kent's and the newer Synthetic repertories.

The final analysis is twofold:
1) Confirmation in my own collection of characteristic symptoms of the remedy to be chosen.
2) Comparison in a suitable (complete) Materia Medica Pura such as Allen's Encyclopaedia

The beauty lies in the flexibility of the method.
It allows me to treat diseases made up of any combination of symptoms. Even if the disease is absolutely new and never seen before, it poses no problem to treat it with remedies proven 150 years ago. -Quick, gentle and permanent-
Through the simplicity and reliability of the method used by the early homeopaths, I gained the confidence and security to treat the types of cases, which previously ended in failure using Kent's method.
Using Hahnemann's method reduces the number of different remedies used in normal casework to about 140 different remedies, which is an amount I can keep in stock.
Dear Hans,
It is clear that the symptoms according to § 153 is important for the selection of more accurate remedy. Can you explain what do you mean by Kent's method? What is the difference between Boennighausen's method and Kent's Method ?
Dear Dr. Paul Muttathukunnel

the fundamental difference is, that Hahnemann and Boenninghausen treat diseases and Kent the person --

Kent also used a classification of symptoms into commons, generals and peculiars. For kent --this seems to be the common understanding-- the mentals are more important than the physicals and the generals.
I have to admit, that i do this from the back of my head and I am not an expert on kent, as I did not use his method for more than 15 years. I have all the details somewhere, because I used to teach it in the early 90'.
Dr Hans,thank you very much for a very practical way of teaching the Organon,which i found difficult to comprehend if i read Organon,6th edition alone.Hope you will continue to enlighten us with more such presentation,specially the ORGANON.Regards
Dear members

Just to add:
change in Moods, as referred to in paragraph 211 / 212 are automatically par.: 153 symptoms.

RSS

Search This Site

GET ➤ 
Cancer and Homeopathy
Best Vitamin C Drink
Enter SHOPWITHHWC
for $3 coupon

AGRO HOMEOPATHY

RADIO & VIDEO SHOWS

© 2017   Created by Debby Bruck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...