Thanks, Jonathan,

I would like to engage further in the dialogue, in the spirit of mutual
inquiry.

I personally resonate with what you say about information explosion and
attention deficit disorder. 15 years ago, my inner discontentment
brought me to taste and test homeopathy. It was an inner drive for a
meaningful process that is more than just arbitrary intellectual
interventions of western medicine. Homeopathy tasted just right for a
thirsty soul and tested as a far superior approach of health care.

But there was so many contemporary teachers on the scene, and so much
information and clamouring that I needed a break to maintain personal
sanity. My felt sense was that all the information is not equal.

I was struck by the demand to be unprejudiced that Hahnemann puts before
any worthy homeopath. I realized that unless one brings sanity and
unity to one's own confused and fragmented life one can not be honest in
his healing venture. I think, that since then, I have been an
ardent student of this self dynamics.

I understand that if I am not free of judgment and prejudices in other more
private
areas of life, it is not possible to be unprejudiced while taking
a case

Hahnemann cautions the homeopathic practitioner to be unprejudiced and
of sound senses to truthfully portray the deviation in vital force ie
totality of disease. If I am not free of my opinions, theories and
experiences, then, all i will do is to impose my systems, theories
and designs
on what is given to us.

I sense your humility in stating that you can make these demands on
yourself and on someone who volunteers for the process but not on anyone
else. I bow down before your wisdom to leave it to personal
discrimination of everyone to choose what feels right. You experience
freedom once you make your stance public.

But, I am really wondering why people do what they do, as you are saying
that they will do what they do according to their understanding and
ability.

Do they exhaust their ability by doing what they do? Or, their ability
(potential) remains untapped when they don't question their own ways and
beliefs?

@Manoj
"But, I am really wondering why people do what they do, as you are
saying that they will do what they do according to their understanding
and ability.

Do they exhaust their ability by doing what they do? Or, their ability
(potential) remains untapped when they don't question their own ways and
beliefs?"

These are really difficult questions and I suspect whole volumes have
been written around this.

The short answer ( from my point of view ) is that our behaviour is
conditioned, that is not free at all. That our choices are not choices
in the same way as a tree does not choose what kind of branches to grow.

The possibility of freedom begins to exist when one becomes aware of
these facts, begins to experience them. Then some small area, some germ
of freedom is born.

Now why some find themselves in this possibility and others never even
dream of it, believing all the while in their dream of freedom, is for
me one of the great mysteries of life.

Although a great mystery it can be summed up in a common saying which
contains a deep truth " You can lead a horse to water but you cannot
make it drink "

Maybe not a too satisfactory answer but as close to my experience as I
can come in a few sentences

Thanks, Jonathan,

You are right that if such questioning is not your authentic concern..
it is meaningless, just a rhetoric... like written volumes.

Yet, when I share my authentic concern publicly, without reciprocal
expectations - I think I am doing my bit. Might be whom I think to be a
horse is not actually a horse and starts liking drinking water.

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We can tell which rubrics we choose to select and which we gloss over.

We can ask ourselves, "how am I feeling about what is being said by the client, the appearance of the client, and the situation that the client is representing?"

We can ask ourselves, "what am I bringing to the table from my personal life today?"

When I begin a session, I start at a place that opens with, "You are channeling information and energy. You are expressing and I am listening as a receiver. I am like a blank slate, an observer, a mirror that is reflecting back the energy to you to perceive."

Start in a place of awareness, noticing the breath together. Let it unfold. Take account of where your mind is and your self talk. Be in a place of non-judgment as much as possible. This takes training.
Dear Jonathan & Manoj,

I am not only “listening”, I am “learning” also.

Oh my God, dear Jonathan & Manoj, the depth of it, what you are discussing about , can you fathom it..!!

Please give me a chance to jot down my feelings regarding what you are talking about.

Each & everyone of us born in separate families and brought up in a somewhat different situations & circumstances in different social structures & values. Accordingly, we grew up as separate human beings from each other. Our views towards outer as well as inner aspects to the life bound to be different. We are INDIVIDUALS. My thinkings, notions, prejudices, ideas, attitudes, experiences, education, historical and biological aspects are purely mine. Sometimes, they are completely dissimilar even with my own blood- my parents, my own bothers & sisters !!

WE ARE SEPARATE INDIVIDUALS, AS IT IS TERMED.

In such a vivid situation, how can anyone expect there will be a guideline which will make us neutral beings as stereotypic robots by controlling our emotions, attitudes, thinkings, ...., etc.
As rational & logical beings ( although a very small percentage of our society) some of us can train ourselves towards a so-called perfectness, but not the absolute. I admit with you, this absolute neutrality is very much needed from the stand point of a homoeopath as far as taking the case is concerned, but is it possible at all?

Not only the neutrality from our part, but also we have to “see” the situations through our patients' eyes. Then only we can gather up the whole “thing” to facilitate the process.

To be a neutral perceiver in that sense, we have to go beyond our own beings, we have to get rid of our feelings, emotions, social- political or familial impressions over our inner selves.

An artist can discover new faces from different angles out of one & the same face as different angles provide different sources of light, air or comparison with other faces in artist's mind, ..,etc.

A half filled glass of water is there on the table.

You will tell me “ Half of the glass is full”, but I will tell you “ No, half of the glass is empty”. Although it sounds all the same, but our way of seeing it show our inner selves.

Can we control it absolutely by practicing with a mere guideline or anything else? No, not at all. Maximally, we can try to achieve the control in an unbiased manner.

How this effort can be made?

A patient comes to me for her treatment. On deeper inquiry, it is revealed that all her complaints started after the disappointment of love. To get the full picture out of the case, ...........I have to forget about my own emotions towards my love.

If my patient cries at the time of narrating her complaints,.................. I have to forget the nature of my nagging neighbor who always cries on trifling matters.

When my patient is complaining of his severe headache...........I should not recollect my own migraine, from which I suffered intensely last night.

Truly, a difficult task to achieve indeed. But we have to be unbiased after all. To achieve it, we have to try through out our lives.......

...........A long way to go before I sleep.

.....................................................ARINDAM
Hello Arindam,
great to have you join in here.
a few comments ( which we can expand on later )

My sense is that this idea of " individuality " is greatly exaggerated as a result of modern psychological influences. I believe we are much more influenced by mass events than we care to recognize ( just look at the success of advertising, political campaigns etc ). Even our thoughts and attitudes are greatly conditioned by the thought patterns of those around us.

So we do not have to worry too much about all these minute individual differences - peoples reactions tend to move in broad groups or broad channels and we can find almost all of these reactions within ourselves. ( based on the principle of resonance as in the saying - "it takes one to know one" )

Which brings me to the next point

As a basic principle of awareness- awareness is not increased by constriction or limitation but rather by expansion and inclusion.

Thus
"A patient comes to me for her treatment. On deeper inquiry, it is revealed that all her complaints started after the disappointment of love. To get the full picture out of the case, ...........I have to forget about my own emotions towards my love."

I take the opposite view. I have to remember and to re experience my own emotions towards my love
Then I have to understand my own pathology - are my reactions in this particular area inappropriately exaggerated or diminished.

Having grasped the measure of my own inner response then I can compare it to that of the patient and begin to evaluate the degree and importance of this symptom. ( i.e. neither over nor under-interpret )

I believe this touches very much upon something you wrote earlier:

" A skillful prescriber is he, who can interpret ( neither over-interpret, nor under-interpret ) the symptoms of the patient in an unprejudiced manner."

Anyway, whatever one's view, I believe this touches on the idea of practice, of the how. This " HOW " that involves the use of my own organism as a measuring device, as the most sensitive device known to man.
Dear Arindam,
My response to your mail is somewhat unorthodox.

In the first part of my response, I am disclosing intra-personal process that happened upon reading your mail. Usually, this part of the response never comes in the picture because it is a personal stuff – many times unconscious. Self awareness of the process is the reason for its communication, as Jonathan wanted to share and discuss the experiential steps of practice of self awareness.

In the second part, I have reflected back what I understood implied in your response. And, since, there always remains a possibility of misunderstanding in communication, I would like you to help by letting me know of any dissonance from what you intended to convey.

In the last part, I have responded with my two cents to carry forward the dialogue.

I am attending to the mix of feelings that arose upon reading your mail.
First impression I get is that you are finding this discussion valuable and would like to contribute to it.

But, there is an uncomfortable spot in the center of my chest that is sucking my attention away from what you are saying. To attend to the implied meaning in your contribution, I need to have space. This sore spot is taking up that space. I am AWARE of IT. I am sensing it and trying to guess what it is all about. ..MISMATCH.. It is uncomfortable with the mismatch at the head and body of your mail. Warm appreciation at the top… and disbelief in the body… this mismatch is creating some discomfort in myself and it is powerful enough to influence my attention (and reaction).

I am acknowledging its (sore spot’s) presence. I am accepting it willingly and lovingly. I say Hello to it.. I am curious to know it… but not right now. I ask it to wait and I will come back to understand its meaning from its point of view. It relaxes and makes good space where I can receive your message as it unfolds.

All this self talk does not take long. Because, it is a familiar possibility. I don’t want to fight/resist/control /suppress /deny /forget what the content of my self awareness is. This self awareness comes with acceptance of what is there. And, this is the unorthodox first part that was not needed for communication to proceed.

Now, I would like to reflect back what I understood by your message. (In practice, I find that this simple ritual keeps my client on the driver’s seat)

You are sharing how much value you are seeing in this interactive discussion. But, you are not convinced that any fixed formula of instructions can help everyone because each one of us is separate and unique.

You are also concerned that pursuit of this ideal will turn us into neutral stereotypic robots by controlling our emotions, feelings, attitudes etc. And, when you add the additional need to understand the other person through his point of view this almost will mean loss of your identity, your personality.

And, you think that this will become possible only when you get rid/control/forget/not recollect your attitude/emotions/ feelings/ memories etc.

Your inner sense is that this is an almost impossible target to achieve with mere guidelines.

But sensing the value of unbiased observation, you feel that, though difficult, this is an undertaking for life.

Now, I will add my response:

I agree with you that there cannot be one fixed set of instructions to work for everyone… I will, rather, like to say that a fixed formula is not enough even for a single person. Changing context of each situation will need its own individualization.

Though, the process can be learned like a musical instrument or a ball game. You will still play afresh each set of game or each musical piece. And, with practice you become more proficient in using this self-awareness-guided-interpersonal-skill.

I would like to further add here that this process need not be control, resist, fight or any other suppressive quality of self behavior. Rather, it permits you to understand yourself better with lot more (self)compassion.

RSS

HWC Partners

RADIO & VIDEO SHOWS

© 2019   Created by Debby Bruck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...