Creating Waves of Awareness
Hemorrhoids are enlarged veins in the anus or lower rectum. They often go unnoticed and usually clear up after a few days, but can cause long-lasting discomfort, bleeding and be excruciatingly painful.
Types of hemorrhoids
External hemorrhoids are those that occur outside of the anal verge (the distal end of the anal canal).
1. Internal hemorrhoids are those that occur inside the rectum. As this area lacks pain receptors, internal hemorrhoids are usually not painful and most people are not aware that they have them. Internal hemorrhoids, however, may bleed when irritated.
2. Prolapsed hemorrhoids are internal hemorrhoids that are so distended that they are pushed outside the anus.
3. If the anal sphincter muscle goes into spasm and traps a prolapsed hemorrhoid outside the anal opening, the supply of blood is cut off, and the hemorrhoid becomes a strangulated hemorrhoid.
The list of signs and symptoms mentioned in various sources for Hemorrhoids includes the 10 symptoms listed below:
• Blood in stool
• Rectal bleeding
• Blood on toilet paper
• Anal itching
• Anal swelling
• Anal lump
• Anal mucus discharge - less common
• Feeling of rectal fullness
• Feeling of unfinished defecation
• Severe rectal pain - if a vein becomes strangulated
The list of complications that have been mentioned in various sources for Hemorrhoids includes:
• Ruptured hemorrhoid
• Gastrointestinal bleeding
• Anemia - if bleeding is severe
• Thrombosis - clotting in the veins
• Strangulation - blockage of the vein.
1. Aesculus. [Aesc]
This remedy is especially suitable to the form of haemorrhoids arising from portal congestion, abdominal plethora. They may or may not bleed, but there is a feeling in the rectum as of splinters or sticks. This remedy has many liver symptoms and haemorrhoids Other indicating symptoms are aching in the lumbar region, protruding purple piles with severe pains in the sacrum and small of the back and fullness in the region of the liver. Dryness, burning and itching are good indications. Pulsatilla is one of the best remedies in haemorrhoids after Aesculus. Passive congestion and dyspeptic troubles are the keynotes; blind haemorrhoids. Haemorrhoids that bleed easily
2. Collinsonia. [Coll]
Collinsonia is indicated in obstinate cases of haemorrhoids which bleed almost incessantly. It is of special use in females with inertia of the rectum and a congestive tendency to the pelvic organs. It suits pregnant women who suffer from piles, and pruritus may be a marked symptom. The indicating symptoms are chiefly a sensation of sticks in the rectum, with constipation from inertia of the lower bowel. It is especially applicable to heart pains resulting from a suppression of a habitual haemorrhoidal flow. It is somewhat similar to Nux, but is a far more useful remedy.
3. Hamamelis. [Ham]
Hughes esteems this remedy as one of the best in haemorrhoids, and clinical testimony is decidedly with him. It has bleeding haemorrhoids, and the flow of blood is quite copious, and the great characterizing indication is excessive soreness. Sulphur has constipation and itching about the anus, worse at night, which may be considered as keynotes for its use.
4. Aloes. [Aloe]
This is also a most useful haemorrhoidal remedy. It is indicated where the piles protrude like a bunch of grapes, bleeding often and profusely, and are greatly relieved by the application of cold water. There is a very marked burning in the anus the bowels feel as if scraped. There is a tendency to diarrhoea, with the well-known uncertain feeling in the lower bowel. This tendency to diarrhoea will distinguish fromCollinsonia, which has the tendency to constipation. Ratanhia has burning in the anus and protrusion of varices after a hard stool. The characteristics of this remedy are burning and fissure of the anus, great painfulness and sensitiveness of rectum Capsicum.
5. Nux vomica. [Nux-v]
If the haemorrhoids be large and blind, with a burning, stinging and constricted feeling in the rectum and a bruised pain in the small of the back and especially if excited by sedentary habits or abuse of stimulants, then Nux may be prescribed with confidence. Itching haemorrhoids keeping the sufferer awake at night, relieved by cold water, or bleeding piles with constant urging to stool, and a feeling as if the bowel would not empty itself are further indications. Arsenicum. Indicated in bluish piles with burning pain, prostration and debility. Muriatic acid. Great sensitiveness of the anus cannot make use of the softest toilet paper; the piles are so sore and sensitive that the slightest touch is unbreakable. Haemorrhoids in the aged. Graphites.Haemorrhoids which burn and sting, anus sore, worse sitting. The rectum seems to have lost its contractile power, and the varices protrude.
6. Lycopodium. [Lyc]
A very useful remedy for piles which do not mature, but remain as hard bluish lumps, and also for bleeding piles containing large quantities of blood.
7. Sepia. [Sep]
Sepia has haemorrhoids from retarded portal circulation; bleeding haemorrhoids with fullness in the rectum; oozing of moisture with great soreness.
8. Sulphur. [Sulph]
This remedy corresponds to ailments producing haemorrhoids and to the troubles resulting from piles which have stopped bleeding, and as a result fullness in the head and uneasiness in the liver; constipation is present; a desire for stool and itching of the anus. Inflamed and very painful piles, scanty evacuation of faeces in small, hard bits, like sheep's dung, with pressing; frequent or copious urination.
9. Lachesis [Lach]
Constipated, offensive stool. Anus feels tight, as if nothing could go through it. Pain darting up the rectum every time be sneezes or coughs. Hæmorrhage from bowels like charred straw, black particles.Hæmorrhoids protrude, become constricted, purplish. Stitches in them on sneezing or coughing. Constant urging in rectum, not for stool.
during management the food habit of a patient is very much important. If this habit will be improved, the patient will get fast improvement in the basic problem.
with food habit management, water intake has to be monitored then it gives result much quickly than expected with the similimum.
Very informative. I had a visit from a man that had been diagnosed with haemrrhoids, many months of agony, he had a driving job, his symptoms were
Painful when sitting for long periods, bled even when having a soft bowel motion, had burning and sharp pain in the rectum, with a terrible itching in the evening in bed. Lycopodium 30 for 5 days greatly relieved then no more problems, if he thinks there is trouble he takes another dose, symptoms disappear and he is well again.
Excellent work sir, nice mixture of disease and drug information.
Homoeopathic Treatment of Haemorrhoids
Homoeopathy does miracles if prescribed as per priciples of nature’s law of cure i. e. constitutional basis. For finding the similimum, thre are a number of rubrics available in various repertories.
100. ABDOMEN - PAIN - cramping - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- Aesc. all-c. coloc. Nux-v. puls. sulph.
101. ABDOMEN - PAIN - hemorrhoidal flow; suppressed- NUX-V.
102. ABDOMEN - PAIN - hemorrhoids; from- Aesc. caps. carb-v. coloc. lach. Nux-v. puls. Sulph. valer.
103. ABDOMEN - PAIN - Liver - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- dios.
104. RECTUM - CONSTIPATION - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- Aesc-g. aesc. Aloe alumn. am-m. anac. Calc-f. caust. coll. euon. glon. graph. hydr. kali-s. lyc. nat-m. nit-ac. Nux-v. paraf. podo. Rat. sil. Sulph. verb. wye.
105. RECTUM - CONSTIPATION - flatulence; with - hemorrhoids; and- bac. COLL.
106. RECTUM - DIARRHEA - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- caps. coll.
107. RECTUM - DIARRHEA - alternating with – hemorrhoids- aloe coll.
108. RECTUM - DIARRHEA - black - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- brom.
109. RECTUM - DYSENTERY – hemorrhoidal- aloe coll. ham. sulph.
110. RECTUM - FISSURE - hemorrhoids; from- caps. caust. cham. Nit-ac. rat. Sed-ac.
111. RECTUM - HEAT - hemorrhoids; in- acon.
112. RECTUM - HEMORRHAGE from anus - hemorrhoids; after removal of- nit-ac.
113. RECTUM – HEMORRHOIDS- abrot. acet-ac. acon. aesc-g. AESC. aeth. AGAR. agn. alet. all-s. ALOE alum-p. alum. alumn. am-br. Am-c. am-m. ambr. ambro. anac. anag. anan. androc. ang. Ant-c. ant-t. Apis apoc. aral. arg-n. Arist-cl. arn. Ars-i. ars-met. ARS. arum-t. arund. aur-m-n. aur-m. aur. Bac. bacls-7. bad. bapt. Bar-c. bar-s. Bell. berb. beta blum-o. borx. bov. Brom. brucel. bry. Bufo Cact. cadm-met. calc-caust. calc-f. calc-i. Calc-p. Calc-s. Calc. cann-s. canth. Caps. carb-ac. CARB-AN. CARB-V. carbn-s. carc. Card-m. carl. cas-s. casc. CAUST. cham. Chel. chim. chin. chinin-ar. chord-umb. chr-ac. chr-met. chr-o. cic. cimic. Cimx. clem. cnic-ar. Coca cocc. Coff. colch. COLL. Coloc. con. cop. croc. crot-h. cupr. Cycl. Dios. dol. dream-p. dulc. echi. elaps Erig. ery-a. Eug. euph-a. euphr. Ferr-ar. ferr-m. ferr-p. Ferr. ferul. Fl-ac. galv. gast. gels. Gran. GRAPH. grat. HAM. helia. Hell. helo-s. Hep. Hydr. hydroph. Hyos. hyper. Ign. Iod. Ip. kali-act. KALI-AR. Kali-bi. kali-br. KALI-C. kali-chl. kali-m. kali-n. kali-p. KALI-S. ketogl-ac. kiss. kreos. lac-del. LACH. lact. lam. lap-la. laps. led. Lept. lil-t. lim. lina. linu-c. lipp. lob. LYC. lycps-v. M-ambo. m-aust. mag-c. Mag-m. mag-p. manc. mand. med. Meli. MERC-I-R. Merc. mez. mill. moni. morg-g. morg-p. morg. mosch. muc-u. MUR-AC. musa Nat-m. Nat-s. neg. nig-s. NIT-AC. NUX-V. ozone PAEON. pen. Petr. petros. ph-ac. PHOS. phys. Phyt. pin-con. pin-s. pip-n. plan. plat. plb-xyz. plb. Podo. polyg-h. polyg-xyz. polyp-p. prot. Psor. PULS. querc-r-g-s. rad-br. ran-b. ran-fi. ran-s. Rat. rauw. rein. rhod. rhodi-o-n. Rhus-t. rhus-v. rumx. rusc-a. Ruta Sabin. Sacch. Sang. Sanguis-s. saroth. sars. saxon. Scroph-n. sec. sed-ac. semp. SEP. Sil. sin-n. slag spig. stann. Staph. still. stram. streptoc. stront-c. Sul-ac. sul-i. SULPH. sumb. symph. syph. tep. Ter. ther. Thuj. tritic-vg. Tub. ulm-c. valer. vanil. verat-v. verat. verb. visc. wies. wye. zinc-val. zinc. Zing.
114. RECTUM - ITCHING - hemorrhoids; from- Acon. Aesc. Aloe ars. caps. carb-v. caust. cina cop. dulc. euphr. Fl-ac. glon. GRAPH. Ham. ign. iod. Lyc. M-ambo. m-aust. morg-g. morg-p. mur-ac. nit-ac. Nux-v. Petros. phos. plan. plb. polyg-h. prot. puls. rhus-t. sep. sil. sul-ac. SULPH. tritic-vg.
115. RECTUM - PAIN - hemorrhoids; from- aesc. aloe bac. caust. coll. dulc. led. lyc. med. morg-g. morg-p. nux-v. rosm. tritic-vg.
116. RECTUM - PAIN - extending to - Liver - stitching pain - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- dios.
117. RECTUM - PARALYSIS - hemorrhoids, after removal of- kali-p.
118. RECTUM - PROLAPSUS - hemorrhoids; during- aesc-g. aesc. lept. podo.
119. RECTUM - STRICTURE - hemorrhoids; from- bapt.
120. RECTUM - SWELLING of anus - hemorrhoids; from- caps. mur-ac.
121. BLADDER - CATARRH, mucopus - hemorrhoidal subjects, in- coll.
122. BLADDER - COMPLAINTS of bladder - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- canth. dig. erig. nux-v.
123. BLADDER - HEMORRHOIDS of- acon. ant-c. borx. Canth. carb-v. euph. Ham. Nux-v. Puls. staph. sulph. thuj. wies.
124. BLADDER - URINATION - dysuria - painful - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- acon. ars. calc. carb-v. lach. merc. NUX-V. Puls. Sulph.
125. URINE - BLOODY - hemorrhoidal flow or menses, after sudden stopping of- Nux-v.
126. FEMALE GENITALIA/SEX - ITCHING - Vulva - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- coll. tarent.
127. FEMALE GENITALIA/SEX - LEUKORRHEA - hemorrhoids; from suppressed- am-m.
128. FEMALE GENITALIA/SEX - MENSES - painful - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- coll.
129. FEMALE GENITALIA/SEX - PROLAPSUS - Uterus - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- podo.
130. RESPIRATION - ASTHMATIC - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- Junc-e. nux-v.
131. RESPIRATION - CATCHING - stitching, from - hemorrhoids, in- SULPH.
132. COUGH - ALTERNATING with – hemorrhoids- berb.
133. CHEST - HEART; complaints of the - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- cact. coll. dig.
134. CHEST - HEART; complaints of the - alternating with – hemorrhoids- coll.
135. CHEST - HEMORRHAGE of lungs - hemorrhoidal flow; after suppression of- acon. Carb-v. Led. Lyc. mez. NUX-V. phos. Sulph.
136. CHEST - INFLAMMATION - Lungs - hemorrhoids; after- hyper.
137. CHEST - PALPITATION of heart - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- coll.
138. CHEST - PALPITATION of heart - alternating with – hemorrhoids- COLL.
139. CHEST - PALPITATION of heart - hemorrhoids; after suppressed- coll.
140. BACK - PAIN - break; as if it would - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- bell.
141. BACK - PAIN - hemorrhoids - protrusion of hemorrhoids; before- alum.
142. BACK - PAIN - Lumbar region - alternating with – hemorrhoids- Aloe
143. BACK - PAIN - Lumbar region - hemorrhoids; during- aesc. bell. ham. nux-v.
144. BACK - PAIN - Sacral region - hemorrhoids; during- calc-f.
145. EXTREMITIES - PAIN - rheumatic - alternating with – hemorrhoids- Abrot. calli-h. coll.
146. EXTREMITIES - PAIN - rheumatic - hemorrhoids; suppressed- Abrot.
147. EXTREMITIES - PAIN - Lower limbs - Sciatic nerve - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- AESC.
148. SLEEP - SLEEPLESSNESS - hemorrhoids; from- abrot. Ars. Kali-c.
149. GENERALS - FAINTNESS - hemorrhoids; after- chin.
150. GENERALS - HEMORRHOIDS agg.- coll.
151. GENERALS - PAIN - rheumatic - accompanied by – hemorrhoids- Berb.